Hey fiends. We’re coming to you guys today – not with a contest or giveaway, not with a big promotion or sale – but something different. Without sounding like a broken record, Christmas is a time of giving. Yes, to most of us that means weeks spent running around an overcrowded mall to buy things for nieces and nephews, but today we’re talking about something bigger than gifts under the tree of a house with hot water, electricity, and bountiful egg nog.
We want to kickstart something that gives to our communities, and the people of it that are in need.
But how do we do it? We thought. The Nightmare on Film Street audience is all over the world. Do we do a fundraiser? Pick a specific cause and promote it? Ask fans to send us items for a Holiday Hamper for a deserving family? All of those options were great, but they didn’t effect your individual communities.
That’s why we’re asking you to take part in HORROR FOR THE HUNGRY, A Worldwide Holiday Food Drive.
What you can do:
- Drop off a non-perishable food item or items (see wishlist below) to the food bank or donation box nearest to you.
- Take a selfie, get a kind stranger to snap a picture, or take a video of you doing it and post on social media with the hashtag #HORRORFORTHEHUNGRY.
- Encourage every Horror fiend you know to do the same.
What we will do:
We are going match every donation with a non-perishable item of our own, in our local community. Can for can. Grain for grain. (Well, try our best to: We hear you guys don’t have Kraft Dinner, so we may take some Canadian liberties.)
- Post a photo/video of you dropping off food at a food bank/drop-off with the hashtag #HORRORFORTHEHUNGRY
- Tag us so we see it! Instagram: @NightmareonFilmStreet Twitter: @NOFSpodcast Facebook: Nightmare on Film Street
We will promote the food drive until Christmas Day, with our own personal drop-off occurring on or before Christmas Eve.
And, as a special surprise and to thank you for your charity and generosity, we will be randomly contacting and awarding participants with Horror Holiday Cards, Nightmare on Film Street Stickers, and perhaps even an enamel pin or two!
Donation Wish List
The following items are generally the most-requested donations this time of year:
- Non-Perishable Holiday Food Items; Dried Stuffing Mix, Cranberry Sauce, Canned Sweet Potato/Vegetables, Gravy Mix, Chocolates/Sweets, Marshmallows and Cocoa
- Rice and Dried Pasta
- Pasta Sauce
- Peanut Butter
- Dried or Canned Meats
- Non-refrigerated Baby Formula
- Non-refrigerated Baby Food (Cans/Jars)
- Nuts and seeds
- Canned Beans
- Hearty Canned Soups (Look for high protein)
- Crackers and Tortillas
- Pancake Mix, Bread Mix, Biscuit Mix, Muffin Mix
- Baking Items; Flour, Sugar, Yeast, Salt, Baking Powder, Corn Starch
- Feminine Products
- Self Care; Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Deodorant, Soap, Shampoo
- Dry or Canned Pet Food
Where to Find a Food Bank
This time of year, most grocery stores and municipal buildings will have convenient drop-off boxes setup. It may only take a quick trip to the police station, library, hospital, city/town hall to find a donation bin. If you are looking for a specific centre, here are a few resources:
Food Banks Canada (Canada)
The Daily Bread Food Bank (Canada)
Feeding America (US)
The Hunger Project (UK)
The Trussell Trust (UK)
The Global Foodbanking Network (Worldwide)
We’ve created a few images optimized for social media if any of you would like to help get the word out about the food drive. Feel free to take, share, and post.
“It’s fine to be bad all year, but this Christmas, #horror goes good. Participate in #HORRORFORTHEHUNGRY, the Worldwide Holiday food drive. Simply drop off a non-perishable food item at a bank near you, snap a pic and post on social media with the #HORRORFORTHEHUNGRY hashtag. Complete before Christmas and #NightmareonFilmStreet match your donation, can for can! http://bit.ly/2CIu8sg”
“This year, Christmas will be… OURS! #Horror gives back this Holiday season with #HORRORFORTHEHUNGRY, the Worldwide Holiday food drive. Simply drop off a non-perishable food item at a bank near you, snap a pic and post on social media with the #HORRORFORTHEHUNGRY hashtag. Complete before Christmas and #NightmareonFilmStreet match your donation, can for can! http://bit.ly/2CIu8sg”
Thank you and Happy Horrordays from all of us here at Nightmare on Film Street!