It’s a big day for the weird, dark, strange, and wonderfully macabre. We horror fans have been toting 2017 as a big year for horror all last year, and it looks like.. the Academy actually paid attention?
The nominations for the 2018 Oscars ceremony are in, and Guillermo del Toro’s creature-feature turned love story The Shape of Water is leading the nominations with 13 nods in total, after already taking home Best Score and Best Director at the just past Golden Globes. Jordan Peele’s comedic, horror-fueled commentary on race and modern society Get Out also received some amazing recognition, including a welcomed Best Picture nomination!
We’ve got your full horror Oscars highlights below:
The Shape of Water
- Best Picture
- Lead Actress, Sally Hawkins
- Supporting Actor, Richard Jenkins
- Supporting Actress, Octavia Spencer
- Director, Guillermo del Toro
- Original Screenplay, Guillermo del Toro, Vanessa Taylor
- Cinematography, Dan Laustsen
- Film Editing, Sidney Wolinsky
- Sound Editing, Nathan Robitaille, Nelson Ferreira
- Sound Mixing, Glen Gauthier, Christian Cooke, Brad Zoern
- Production Design, Paul D. Austerberry, Jeffrey A. Melvin, Shane Vieau
- Original Score, Alexandre Desplat
- Costume Design, Luis Sequeira
- Best Picture
- Lead Actor, Daniel Kaluuya
- Director, Jordan Peele
- Best Original Screenplay, Jordan Peele
Congratulations to both amazing films on all of their outstanding nominations. To even heard the title of a slightly freaky feature mentioned at the Academy Awards is a feat in itself. I for one, might actually watch the Oscars this year.
If you are a film buff (and not just a horror buff,) you can check out all of the nominations, here. Other notable nominations this year went to Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Dunkirk, Call Me By Your Name, Ladybird, Darkest Hour, The Phantom Thread, and The Post.
And lastly – the horror celebrations don’t need to stop there! We’re currently in the thick of the 2017 FREDDY’S – Horror Awards – and you are calling all of the shots! The nomination period has just closed, and we’ll be announcing our own nominations later this week – before the voting round begins! We’ll be recognizing even more of the amazing horror of 2017, and it won’t stop at just The Shape of Water and Get Out. We’ve plenty more films to recognize, including It, Annabelle: Creation, The Mummy.. (just kidding), and more!
What do you think of Horror Heading to the Oscars? Sound off in the comments below, and continue the conversation over on our Facebook Group!