Soldiers are transported to an alternate reality along with the remains of Mother Base, to find the world is full of hostile, crystalline zombie-like entities known as “creatures”.Their goal is to find materials and do anything they can to go back to their own world.
Metal Gear Survive is a survival action game in an alternative universe of the Metal Gear Solid franchise by Konami for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Microsoft Windows. The game reportedly takes place in the time period between Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
From the Press release:
Metal Gear Survive is a survival action game in an alternative universe. In a struggle to survive, and understand this new environment, players engage in both a Single Play and connected co-op Play. In the battle for survival scavenged materials must be wrought into usable items, gear, and weapons if you are to have any hope of making it home.
• Two ways to play: Single Play and CO-OP Play. These modes are linked via Base Camp. Character progress and gear carries between the two modes.
• Build and develop your Base Camp: This offers access to weapon and gear crafting. As well as offering you a command center for planning missions in Single Play and CO-OP Play.
• Gather resources for use in crafting including blue prints and raw materials. These can be gathered in Single play by exploring the environment or won in successful CO-OP missions
• Develop Base camp with new facilities to aid survival, Including crop growing, animal rearing, food and water storage. As your camp develops you’ll gain access to high grade crafting items.
• Manage resources, including human essentials such as food and water as well as raw materials used for weapons, defences, and expendables.
Recent screenshots below.
Metal Gear Survive was first announced at Gamescom (2016) and since the release of its debut trailer, most comments about the game lean toward the shift in tone from a stealth based action game to a zombie survival shooter. This information shouldn’t have been much surprise to fans, given that early interviews with Kojima reportedly requesting Platinum Games to make the sequel to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance have Gray Fox fighting against nanomachine-empowered zombies. Farming and scavenging is definitely a strange pace for the Metal Gear franchise but it may coincide quite well with the robot-zombie apocalypse theme. Metal Gear Survive shall be the first in its franchise to be made without Hideo Kojima.
You can expect Metal Gear Survive to hit shelves within the first few months of 2018. It will be available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Microsoft Windows.