Hey there, Horror Fiends! In the past week, Covid-19 has hit us like 28 Days Later, and we’re stuck Shaun of the Deading on the couch. With the majority of us in social isolation for the time being while our governments and health officials try to slow down the Coronvirus pandemic, we’re left to do the only thing we can — binge horror movies and eat junkfood.
We wanted to provide you a list of resources to help make your social quarantine a little more bearable – we need to take care of both our mental and physical health during this crazy and bewildering time. We weird and spooky genre fans have always used horror as an outlet and an escape from the horrors of society. Now, we need those escapes more than ever. So stay home, stay well, and enjoy this list of Resources for your Spooky Social Isolation!
We know it's a little crazy right now, so we're opening up our @FANGORIA Digital membership to EVERYONE, free for 2 months.
— FANGORIA (@FANGORIA) March 16, 2020
- Get Your Fango Fill with 2 Free months of Fangoria Digital. Fangoria has opened up its digital doors to horror fans, offering access to digital scans of their first 14 issues and more!
- Access your local library.. online! If your library has partnered with Hoopla Digital, you’ll have access to an extensive library of Digital video rentals, audiobooks, and ebooks! All you need is a library card!
- Connect remotely with friends with a Quarantine and Chill thanks to Netflix Party! All you and your friends need are active Netflix subscriptions and the Netflix and Chill Chrome Browser Extension. And if you want to party with us, we’ll be hosting a QUARANTINE STREAM N’ SCREAM every Friday night with our Patrons!
- Get your summer bod ready or maintain your pre-quarantine fitness level with the immersive Zombies, Run mobile app! Complete audio “missions” and pick up resources in the zombie apocalypse simulation! Keep entertained while getting fit running, walking, or jogging around your neighborhood, house, or even just on the spot in your basement!
- Get your free movie-streaming on by accessing a vast collection of classic horror, sci-fi, and B-movies that have entered public domain via The Internet Archive, or by watching a few ads in exchange for free feature-length content made available by Popcorn Flix, Crackle, IMDB TV, Vudu, and Tubi!
- Get your sinister sous chef on with some of the best Spooky Recipes the internet has to offer! Our very own VVitchy Kitchen has conjured up a ton of amazing horror-themed recipes in her column here at Nightmare on Film Street, and over on her website. The Homicidal Homemaker has tons of amazing cooking and baking videos available on Youtube. Horror’s Martha Stewart, Christine McConnell, has an amazing series on Netflix, and also regularly posts creations on her Patreon Page!
- Keep connected to the Horror Community by joining the Horror Movie Fiend Club group on Facebook! We’ve amassed almost 20 000 members, and everyday you’ll find funny memes, horror discussions, recommendations from horror fans across the globe!
- Dive into some great horror podcasts and check out our previous list of some of the best horror podcasts to binge! From horror fiction, to discussion podcasts, to true crime, to scary stories, and more! Our podcast alone has over 200 episodes, most available free on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Streaming on our website. We also release monthly bonus content over on Patreon!
- Horror streaming platform Shudder is offering 30 days free with the promo code SHUTIN. You do need a credit card to subscribe, but you can cancel anytime without being charged. They’re constantly adding new festival finds and classic horror films – it’s also the only place you can binge The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs!
If you're stuck inside and need something to watch, use the promo code SHUTIN at https://t.co/j8j7PLNVTF for a 30 day free trial! And if you have to go out, don't forget your protective gear. pic.twitter.com/IGOxj0HyII
— Shudder (@Shudder) March 19, 2020
How are you keeping entertained during self-isolation? Do you have some more resources to share? Tweet us, share a post in the Horror Movie Fiend Club on Facebook, or even in our Subreddit! From all of us at Nightmare on Film Street, stay safe and stay creepy!