Count your blessings and say your prayers ’cause the Santa slasher that shocked them all is finally coming to Blu-ray, courtesy of Scream Factory! Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984) tells the story of little Billy who is orphaned after witnessing the murder of his parents by a man dressed in a Santa suit. Now, many years later, the traumatic memories of that night are about to come back when he is asked to play Santa for his department store job. As the newly-commissioned Blu-ray artwork by Joel Robinson suggests, this request wasn’t such a good idea. Oops!
Silent Night, Deadly Night received a less-than-stellar Blu-ray release by Anchor Bay in 2014 for the film’s 30th anniversary. Fans were disappointed that the film wasn’t granted a more thorough restoration. But not anymore! Scream Factory has announced that they’ll be releasing the movie as a Collector’s Edition.
The 2-disk set will be loaded with extras, will come with a slipcover (limited to the first three months of release), and will include reversible cover art to showcase the original poster art. Not to mention, Silent Night, Deadly Night will finally receive a 4K scan of BOTH the theatrical and unrated cuts.
This will mark the first time the theatrical version has been released on any format.
In regards to the unrated cut, it is yet to be determined if the additional scenes of gore and violence will be restored to the same quality as the rest of the 4K scan. If you have seen the previous Blu-ray release, you will know those cut scenes aren’t in the best shape. But we can only hope.
Scream Factory extras will include:
– NEW Slay Bells Ring: The Story of Silent Night, Deadly Night featuring interviews with writer Michael Hickey, co-executive producers Scott J. Schneid and Dennis Whitehead, editor/second unit director Michael Spence, composer Perry Botkin and actor Robert Brian Wilson
– NEW Oh Deer! An interview with Linnea Quigley
– NEW Christmas in July – Silent Night, Deadly Night Locations – then and now
– NEW audio commentary with actor Robert Brian Wilson and co-executive producer Scott J. Schneid
– Original Theatrical Trailer, TV spots and Radio Spot
– Audio Commentary by Michael Hickey, Perry Boykin, Scott J. Schneid and Michael Spence
– Audio interview with director Charles E. Sellier, Jr.
– Santa’s Stocking of Outrage
– Poster and Still Gallery
Aside from the standard Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, fans can pre-order the set directly from Scream Factory’s website to get a LIMITED 18″ x 24″ poster of the new Robinson artwork.
It doesn’t stop there though. Limited to 2,000 orders is the DELUXE LIMITED EDITION that includes the Blu-ray, the 18″ x 24″ poster, and an officially licensed 8″ Billy/Killer Santa doll created by NECA – N.E.C.A. It’s offered exclusively on the Scream Factory website though, so you’ll want to hurry over there to lock in your pre-order.
BEWARE! At the time of writing this article, the deluxe edition is over halfway sold-out!
While all three offers are up for pre-order, the official release date is December 5, 2017. Just in time for some yuletide fear… *cough*… cheer.