On October 30th, INDICATOR, a UK Blu-ray label owned and operated by Powerhouse Films, released a Hammer horror/thriller box-set called Hammer Volume 1: Fear Warning. It contained four films (Maniac, The Gorgon, Curse of the Mummy‘s Tomb, and Fanatic) from Hammer’s expansive library, some of which had never been available on Blu-ray before. Yours truly purchased and viewed the box-set in full and was blown away with the transfers of the films, the special features, and the presentation of the set itself. A lot of love and care went into presenting these film with respect. And now Indicator is at it again with Hammer Volume 2: Criminal Intent.
Four classic thrillers from the vaults of Hammer Films released on Blu-ray for the very first time, including premiere presentations of the complete, uncensored UK theatrical release versions of Val Guest’s The Full Treatment and Cyril Frankel’s Never Take Sweets from a Stranger and a host of new and exclusive extra features. This stunning Limited Blu-ray Edition Box Set from Indicator is strictly limited to 6,000 numbered units.
Special features for the box-set include:
• HD restorations of all four films
• Original Mono audio
• New title-specific documentaries exploring aspects of each film
• Two presentations of Never Take Sweets from a Stranger : the original UK theatrical cut, containing original titles and dialogue; and the alternative US version with amended Never Take Candy from a Stranger titles and censored dialogue
• Never Take Sweets from a Stranger introduction by actor and filmmaker Matthew Holness
• Archival audio interview with Never Take Sweets from a Stranger director Cyril Frankel
• Two presentations of The Full Treatment: the uncensored UK theatrical cut; and the censored US version with alternative Stop Me Before I Kill! titles
• Audio commentary with film historian Michael Brooke and author Johnny Mains on The Snorkel
• Audio commentary with film historians Jonathan Rigby and David Miller on Cash on Demand
• New and exclusive interviews with cast and crew members, including actors Janina Faye (Never Take Sweets from a Stranger) and Lois Daine (Cash on Demand), props master Peter Allchorne (The Snorkel) and second assistant director Hugh Harlow (The Snorkel)
• Appreciations of composers Elizabeth Lutyens (Never Take Sweets from a Stranger) and Francis Chagrin (The Snorkel) by David Huckvale, author of Hammer Film Scores and the Musical Avant-Garde
• Hammer’s Women: Betta St John (2018): Diabolique magazine’s editor-in-chief Kat Ellinger offers an appreciation of the American actress, singer and dancer
• Hammer’s Women: Gwen Watford (2018): British cinema expert Dr Laura Mayne explores the life and career of the prolific English film, stage and television actress
• Hammer’s Women: Diane Cilento (2018): Dr Melanie Williams, author of Female Stars of British Cinema, explores the life and career of the Australian theatre and film actress and author
• Hammer’s Women: Lois Daine (2018): critic and author Becky Booth on the popular English film and television actress
• Archival documentaries, interviews and featurettes
• Original trailers
• Image galleries: extensive promotional and on-set photography, poster art and marketing materials
• Exclusive booklets for each film, with new essays by Kat Ellinger, Julian Upton and Kim Newman, archival interview materials, contemporary reviews, and full film credits
It’s clear Indicator/Powerhouse loves Hammer Studios as much as we do, so hop on over to the website and preorder while you can. The set is limited to 6,000 units, so it won’t last forever.
Lastly, Hammer Volume 2 is region-free so if you don’t live in the UK, no worries! It will play on any Blu-ray player worldwide.
Hammer Volume 2: Criminal Intent is currently priced at £42.99 and hits the street February 19th, 2018.